Learning Activity 1
Read extracts online of W Edwards Deming’s book ‘Out of the Crisis’, read about ‘Kaizen’ and another interesting read is ‘The Toyota Way’ which embedded TQM in its culture;
Learning Activity 2
Once you have become familiar with the philosophy of TQM, we would like you to reflect on how you will incorporate Deming’s 14 points in your own Quality Improvement project;
Learning Activity 3
Who do you think are the stakeholders in the Community dentistry department? You will need to place them in the relevant position according to their power and interest.
Now you have allocated them accordingly, how will you involve them in this quality improvement project?
Learning Activity 4 minutes – Ishikawa Fish bone analysis
The team developed a cause and effect diagram and brainstormed the possible reasons for the high levels of DNA in the diagram. What other reasons can you think of that could also be included?
Can you group your ideas in the following categories:
Learning Outcomes : By the end of this learning unit you will be able to
1. Define Total Quality Management as a key element of operations management
2. Explain W. Edwards Deming’s 14 points for a TQM organisation
3. Critically apply the tool of Stakeholder analysis
4. Critically apply the tool of the Ishikawa Fishbone analysis
5. Support your learning from Case Study 1 by Dr Victoria Hemming who sought to reduce the deaths of babies in hospital with the development of an electronic paediatric early warning score